British cuisine makes you warm and happy. One of my best comfort food are pies, especially with chicken and mushrooms. My chicken pie is creamy and really tasty. I hope you will like it :). It is perfect dish for rainy Summer days.
- 1 smaller onion
- 1 small leek
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- few broccoli florets
- few cauliflower florets
- 1 courgette
- handful peas
- handful parsley, chopped
- chicken stock (around 600 ml)
- 10 mushrooms
- 2 chicken legs
- 3 tablespoons crème fraiche or sour cream
- black pepper
- ready made puff pastry
- around 2-3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 small handful cheddar (optional)
- 1 small egg
1. Remove skin from the chicken legs. Season them with paprika, salt and pepper. Bake in a pre-heated to 180 C(350F) oven.
2. Slice the leek, mushrooms, and onion. Finely chop the garlic.
3. Fry the onion, leek, mushrooms, and garlic for few minutes.
4. When water from mushrooms will evaporate add carrots. Fry for another couple of minutes.
5. When chicken will be ready separate meat from bones.
6. Add the stock, sliced courgette, and cauliflower to the saucepan. Cook for few minutes.
7. Add the peas, meat, and broccoli. Season dish to your taste.
8. Separate liquid from rest of the ingredients and place them into ceramic (or glass) baking dish.
9. Mix liquid with the corn starch, cheese, and cream. You can season sauce with nutmeg. Cook until thickened. Add chopped parsley (I did that before and parsley lost his lovely green colour). Pour sauce over the rest of pie ingredients.
10. Place the puff pastry over the filling and carefully trim the edges. Score the top with a sharp knife and cut small hole in the middle of pastry or use pie bird.
11. Cut some shapes and decorate pie.
12. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
13. Bake in a pre-heated oven to 180C (350F) until golden brown.
14. Serve warm.