This cake is very popular around the world. I believe this is because of delicious taste and extra moisture.
(Adapted from one of my favourite books "Warm bread and honey cake" by Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra)
Ingredients for cake:
150 g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
150 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tbsp melted and cooled butter
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease oven proof dish (for example pyrex) with butter and dust it with semolina.
2. Use an electric mixer to whisk the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla extract until thick and pale.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together, then fold into the mixture.
4. Next, gently but throughly mix in the milk and butter.
5. Scrape the batter into dish and level the top.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden.
Ingredients for milk mixture:
200 g condensed milk
150 g evaporated milk
150 g whole milk
100 g double cream
1. While the cake is baking, combine all milk mixture ingredients and set aside.
2. Prick severy holes in the very hot cake.
3. Slowly pour the milk mixture over very warm cake. Do this in two batches. Don't worry, the cake will soak liquid all up.
4. Chill until ready to serve.
5. Serve in squares at room temperature with sweetened whipped cream or fruit souse.